In order to properly prepare your home for selling, consider some of the tips and advice below from realtors near you. They have hundreds of years’ of combined experience among them, and are ready to help you sell your house. Here is what you have to do to help them sell your house for you.
1. Make a lot of those little repairs that have been lingering around the house. This can mean anything from replacing the broken garage door opener to a leaky faucet to replacing a moldy shower curtain. These are small things but they have a huge impact when a buyer is looking at your home, so take care of the little, seemingly superficial things today. You never want to give a buyer an obvious reason not to like the way your home looks.
2. If you have pets and children, consider hiring a regular professional cleaning service. You might think you can keep your home clean enough to be shown but on a daily basis this can get exhausting. Having someone come in once a week to do the head to toe cleaning week after week will help your home be shown in the best possible light.
3. Regardless of whether you hire full house cleaners or not, hiring carpet cleaners is essential if you have any carpet whatsoever. Especially if you have pets, buyers will see them and assume that the carpet is dirty whether or not that is actually the case. Hiring carpet cleaners ahead of time can mitigate some of that damage, whether unfounded or not. It is also a nice gesture for the person moving in to know that the home they are buying just recently had carpets cleaned.
4. Have an inspection done yourself. It does not have to be a full inspection but having someone look at the roofing, the basement if you have one, and the foundation of the home can help you be prepared for the contracting process. A sewer inspection is another one of those items that is voluntary but highly recommended, though it is usually requested by the buyer. It is not required for the seller to do that inspection.
5. Make sure you prepare any flooring besides carpeting. If that means refinishing hardwood floors or getting tile cleaners, then be sure and do that. Anything that does not look fresh, shiny, and clean is simply going to drag down a potential buyer’s perception of your home. This is a little step that can have a big impact as well. It also requires keeping it very clean throughout the process.
6. Put unnecessary or cluttered furniture into storage while you are trying to sell the house. Freeing up some space will make any room look more open, and if you do not one hundred percent need it before moving, then consider packing it up now and saving yourself a step down the road. The less clutter around, the neater the house looks no matter how clean or dirty it was to begin with!